Before planning a family, a person or a couple has to be pretty careful about their lifestyle and habits. Before conceiving an issue, both the parents has to get rid of many habits in order to get successful with a healthy pregnancy, a healthy child devoid of any complications. After all, who does not wish to have a happy family?
While you are trying to conceive, what is most important is to control your lifestyle. The daily choices can influence pregnancy manifold. It can have negative influence on chances of becoming pregnant as well as having an uncomplicated pregnancy.
Some of the aspects which need to be checked before you start planning for a family or conception are as follows :-
- Smoking – Tobacco consumption reduces the sperm count as well as the chances of fertilisation, thus it is recommended to both the partners to stop smoking before they start planning for conception. Smoking affects fertility of both the partners and thus both of them should be careful.
- Caffeine and alcohol – Intake of caffeine and alcohol should be cut down to minimum or negligible. Couples planning to conceive are recommended to reduce the amount of intake to one serving per day. Since caffeine is known to cause pregnancy loss thus it is advised to avoid caffeine throughout pregnancy.
- A proper and healthy diet – A well balanced and nutritious diet is recommended to both partners before planning to conceive. Street foods, junk foods, deep fried foods etc. should be avoided as much as possible. The diet should consist of plenty fruits and vegetables, high quality protein rich foods (poultry and seafoods included). Fats in the diet should be healthy ones such as nuts, oilseeds. While cooking olive oil should be preferred as cooking oil.
- Dietary supplements – Woman who plan to get should consume proper dietary supplements in order to provide adequate nutrient to the foetus. Doctors and nutritionists recommend pregnant mothers to consume 800- 1000 micrograms of folic acid daily since it prevents the risk of neural defects in foetus. All the vitamins and minerals should be supplemented in their recommended amount to the mothers. These supplements should be consumed on the doctor’s advice.
- An optimum body weight – An optimum body weight should be maintained before conception. Pregnant women who are obese have increased risks of miscarriages. Moreover, the risks of premature delivery increases if the pregnant woman is obese with a BMI over 30. If BMI is over 35, the risks increase by 50%. Thus, for obese people weight loss programme is recommended before conceiving. For underweight mothers, it is advised to gain weight in order to avoid giving birth to LBW infants.
- Stress reduction – it is very important to be stress free for both the partners while going through pregnancy or planning so because stress in turn can affect fertility. Yoga, meditation, exercise and other necessary measures must be adapted in order to manage stress.
At Ponni Hospital, proper counselling and guidelines are provided to couples planning for pregnancy and family planning which strengthens your family relationships.