The quality of being fertile or the natural ability to conceive children is known as fertility. Fertility rate is a measure of fertility and can be determined by the number of offspring born per mating individual, pair or population. The inability to produce offspring or the lack of fertility is known as infertility. Human fertility is dependent on factors like nutrition, culture, instinct, emotions, sexual behaviour, endocrinology, economics, consanguinity and way of life. In males, infertility is referred to the inability of males to impregnate fertile females. Infertility in males can cause several problems, but at Ponni Hospital , there are several methods which can be implemented to optimise male fertility.
Causes of Infertility
Factors which can cause male infertility are:
- Pre-testicular factors include situations of poor hormonal system and poor general health which includes hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, untreated and undiagnosed celiac disease, drugs, alcohol, strenuous riding, genetic abnormalities, medications those affect spermatogenesis and decrease FSH level and sperm motility.
- Evidences show that tobacco smoking may damage testicles and kill sperms, thereby causing infertility.
- DNA damage leads to decrease in semen quality causing male infertility.
- Testicular factors including age, genetic defects on Y chromosomes, Klinefelter syndrome, trauma, mumps, malaria, testicular cancer results in the production of low quality sperms.
- Post testicular factors which include obstruction of vas deferens, lack of vas deferens, infection, retrograde ejaculation and impotence. This decreases male fertility.
How to Optimize Fertility?
Medicinal and Hormonal Treatment
- Obstructive causes of post testicular male infertility can be overcome by either surgery or IVF-ICSI.
- Ejaculatory factors causing infertility can be treated by medication or IUI therapy or IVF.
- Sperm DNA damage and reduction in motility can be treated with vitamin E.
- Hormonal treatment: luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone is very effective in treating male infertility. A low dose combination of estrogen and testosterone can improve sperm count and motility.
- Having optimum amount of fats, cholesterol and proteins can increase fertility. Balance cholesterol with healthy polysaturated fats like Omega-3s which contain DHA fatty acids to increase sperm count and testicle health.
- Consume food having high carbs and a low glycemic index like whole wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice and sweet potatoes.
- Nutrients like vitamins and minerals increase sperm count, motility and motility. Folic acid, also known as vitamin B9 helps in building sperm DNA.
- Anti-oxidants like coenzyme Q10 is a fatty acid molecule that provides energy to the sperm cells and increase sperm motility. Coenzyme C10 is found in oils, meat, nuts, vegetables and animal oils.
- Avoid heat.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Avoid smoking or drinking
- Have good sex often
- Check your medications
- Get good level of sleep
- Maintain a healthy stress level
- Acupuncture can increase blood flow and increase male fertility
Why choose Ponni Hospital for Optimizing Fertility?
- Ponni Hospital has been successfully treating infertile men to increase their fertility for over a decade.
- Cutting edge infrastructure and state of the art laboratories are one of the best in the world.