Obesity is a global health problem that has become endemic, bringing to its victims many physiological and psychological issues. Evidence shows that male obesity has a negative impact on male reproductive potential. It reduces sperm quality altering the physical and molecular structure of the germ cells in the testes and mature sperms. With an increase in sperm disorders and environmental exposures, paternal health cues can be passed to the next generation. It can affect men at all stages of development. Obesity can also affect hormones and leads to insulin resistance. In males, obesity also causes a rise in scrotal temperature and erectile dysfunction.
Effect of Male Obesity on Fertility
- Sperm DNA integrity is important for the ability of sperms to fertilize and generate a healthy term pregnancy.
- Evidences show a positive association between increasing BMI and increased sperm oxidative stress. Sperm oxidative stress is correlated with decreased sperm motility, increase in sperm damage, decrease in acrosomal reactions and lower embryo implantation rates after IVF.
- Male obesity can alter hormone profiles. Increase in male BMI can reduce plasma concentration of SHBG and thus testosterone increases plasma concentration of estrogen. Decrease in testosterone and increase in estrogen level reduces sperm count and fertility. With increase in BMI, other hormones such as FSH, inhibin B and sex hormone binding globulin levels decrease which is responsible for function of sertoli cell and spermatogenesis.
- Hyperinsulinemia and hyperglycemia have an inhibitory effect on the quality of sperms and thus reduce male fertility.
The sperms produced in obese males are weak with low motility and irregularities in shapes. In obese males, the chances of natural fertilisation as well as artificial conception through IVF are limited. IVF treatment fails in about 25% of the obese males due to low sperm count.
How to Treat Obese Men with Low Fertility?
In obese men, fertility treatment can be done only after treating them for obesity.
- The first step should be weight loss procedures which include assistance of trained healthcare professional, weight loss groups and also bariatric surgeries in severe cases.
- Modifying lifestyle choices and promoting weight loss programs are the best ways to reduce obesity.
- Testosterone therapy can help to treat erectile dysfunction and hormone imbalance and thus help in increasing sperm count and fertility.
- Reduction of BMI levels by opting for a diet meal and surgical measures.
- Therapeutic treatments including aromatase inhibitors, regulation of adipose derived hormones like leptin and exogenous testosterone replacement therapy and maintenance can restore fertility in obese males.
Reasons to Choose Ponni Hospital for Treatment
- At Ponni Hospital, we provide the best possible medical help to help couples facing infertility.
- A cutting edge infrastructure with best laboratories for IVF makes Ponni Hospitalone of the best facilities in the world.
- At Ponni Hospital, advanced treatments for sexual dysfunction and assisted reproductive treatments are done with utmost precision and care at a reasonable price.
- We provide a calm and quiet atmosphere to make sure that you can heal properly.