The process by which fertility is assessed in men and women is known as fertility testing. There are several tests that can be taken to evaluate fertility. At Ponni Hospital, our goal is to guide you through the process properly and quickly so that you can get the treatment and ultimate success as quickly as possible.
Fertility Testing in Woman
Women can be fertile from puberty until menopause. There are various methods of predicting fertility in women either to avoid or aid pregnancy.
- Stretch test: during the fertile window, the cervical mucus becomes clear and sticky which allows the sperm to survive and travel through it.
- Ovulation prediction kit: during ovulation period, there appears a peak in luteinising hormone in the urine. Ovulation prediction kit is usually antibody tests which detects this peak period.
- Cervical position: during the fertile window, the cervix becomes soft, high, open and wet.
- Basal body temperature charting: the basal body temperature increases during menstruation. Increase in the level of progesterone during menstruation can increase the basal body temperature by 0.5 to 1 degree Celsius during ovulation. This test can indicate if there are any problems with ovulation.
- Follicle stimulating hormone testing: this test indicates whether a woman will ovulate in the given month. It is usually carried out on the third day of menstrual cycle.
- Anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH): higher AHM levels indicate the presence of more number of eggs while lower AHM count lower number of eggs in the ovary.
- Hysterosalpingography: in this process, the fallopian tube and uterus is inspected by injecting a radiocontrast agent. This ensures that the egg is passed down the fallopian tube without obstruction and also identifies any uterine abnormalities.
- Ovarian ultrasound: the development of ovarian follicle can be diagnosed by ultrasound scans of the ovaries.
- Hysteroscopy: uterine fibroids, Asherman’s syndrome and bicornate uterus are some major conditions that can affect fertility in women. These conditions can be diagnosed by hysteroscopy. This process includes the insertion of an endoscope to get images of the inside of a uterus.
- Laparoscopy: the interior of the abdomen can be established by laparoscopy. It can be used to determine the patency of the fallopian tubes and diagnosis of endometriosis.
Fertility Testing in Men
Generally men who have undergone puberty should be fertile throughout their life. However infertility issues can arise at any age in man. Some tests to detect fertility are:
- Semen analysis: semen analysis can be used to determine the volume of semen, sperm count, sperm motility and morphology. Abnormal factors can be associated with infertility.
- Genetic test: genetic testing and chromosomal analysis can determine Kleinfelter’s syndrome which causes male infertility.
- Hamster zona-free ovum test can be used to diagnose infertility in some cases.
Reasons for Choosing Ponni Hospital
- At Ponni Hospital, we provide the best possible medical treatment to help people with their fertility issues.
- Presence of cutting edge infrastructure and top laboratory facilities for IVF procedures makes Ponni Hospital one of the best in the world.
- Co-operative staff and highly skilled doctors make sure that you can heal quickly and properly.