Obesity has become prevalent worldwide and is increasing to an epidemic level. Obesity mainly occurs when fat accumulates in the body at 20% or above the normal body weight. When the excess calories that are consumed are not burned off by activities or exercises, it results in an obese individual. Obesity can be linked to food addiction, heredity or a result of hormonal imbalance. In females, obesity can lead to numerous problems like social, psychological and health problems and can play a significant role in reproductive disorders in females.
How Does Obesity Affect Female Fertility?
Obese women have a higher risk of menstrual dysfunction and anovulation, subfecundity, infertility, inability to conceive, pregnancy complications and miscarriage.
- In obese women, the insulin resistance and leptin level increase as a result of which hyperandrogenemia occurs which leads to impaired ovulatory functions and reproductive health.
- Excessive adipose tissue in women causes polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). PCOS is a heterozygous condition characterized by anovulation, hypothalamic hypogonadism, menstrual irregularities and infertility.
- Obesity can cause infertility by various pathways which include impaired ovarian follicular development, qualitative and quantitative development of ovum, fertilization, embryo development and implantation.
- Obesity interrupts the production of reproductive hormones like gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH). Hormonal imbalance leads to decreased chances of conceiving, irregular menstrual cycles and greater risk of diabetes.
- Due to the interaction between insulin and luteinizing hormone (LH),steroidogenesis is enhanced which causes cessation of the follicular growth. Therefore, premature luteinisation and follicular arrest leads to menstrual cycle disorders.
- Endometrial damage due to obesity affects the implantation process which leads to miscarriage.
- Obesity affects natural as well as assisted pregnancies by causing miscarriages. Evidences suggest a rise in incidence of miscarriage in obese patients who have been treated by various assisted reproductive methods.
Prevention and Treatment
Obese females can be subjected to fertility treatments only after treating them to reduce their weight to bring it under control. Some of the methods are:
- Modifying lifestyle choices and promoting healthy weight loss plans to reduce obesity.
- Following a healthy balanced diet aimed at weight loss.
- Routinely exercise with the assistance of trained healthcare professionals to burn off the extra calories.
- Reduction of BMI level.
- In severe cases when it cannot be managed by diet or exercise, surgical options are available.
- Weight loss is the primary treatment for fertility problems in obese women thus increasing conception rates and regularity in menstrual cycle.
- After weight loss, women can undergo IVF, ARM and other such methods to increase fertility.
Reasons for Choosing ponni Hospital
- Our faculty comprises of pioneers in the field of medicine.
- At ponni Hospital, we provide the best medical treatment to help couples facing infertility through the IVF treatment
- With over 15 years of medical experience and administration, we offer advanced treatment for sexual dysfunction, infertility and assisted reproductive treatments with utmost precision and care at a reasonable rate.
- Cutting edge infrastructure and state of the art laboratories make ponni Hospital one of the best medical facilities in the world.