BMI or Body Mass Index is a measure of body fat based on height and weight and is applied to adult men and women. High BMI indicates obesity while a low BMI indicates skinniness. Both extremes, very thin and obese, can affect fertility in a man or woman.
- A normal body weight is a BMI of about 18.5-24.9
- A BMI lower than 18.5 indicates that the person is underweight
- A BMI ranging between 25-29.9 indicates that the person is overweight
- A BMI higher than 30 indicates that the person is obese
- A BMI over 40 indicates extreme obesity
Maintaining an ideal weight is very important for our overall health and it has a direct effect on fertility as well as the outcomes of infertility treatments and fertility.
Impact of low BMI on fertility
Low BMI indicates many fertility problems. Studies have shown that about 12% of infertility cases are related to being underweight or low BMI.
Impact of high BMI on fertility
- In women, low BMI level results in reduction of estrogen which leads to abnormal menstrual cycle. It can also lead to amenorrhea or the lack of menstrual cycle.
- Endorphins, released during exercise, increase the level of prolactin. An increase in prolactin level decreases the possibility of pregnancy.
High BMI results in obesity. Obesity is a major problem that affects both male and female population.
Reasons to choose Ponni Hospital
- Girls experience an early onset of puberty due to obesity whereas it leads to delayed puberty in boys. During puberty, obesity affects hormonal imbalance which causes lower levels of testosterone which reduce the reproductive growth of boys, thus delaying puberty.
- High BMI level results in irregularities in menstrual cycle, lack of or reduction in ovulation, increase in the rate of miscarriage, inability to conceive.
- Obesity causes polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) which is characterised by anovulation, hypothalamic hypogonadism, menstrual irregularities and infertility.
- High BMI level leads to hormonal imbalance which leads to decreased chances of conceiving and irregular menstrual cycle in women. While in men, it results in reduced sperm count and fertility.
- Increase in BMI causes increase in sperm oxidative stress which results in sperm damage, decrease in acrosomal reactions and lower embryo implantation rates after IVF.
- Obesity causes endometrial damage which affects the implantation process eventually leading to miscarriage and infertility.
- Assisted fertility treatments like in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) are comparatively less successful in obese people.
- In males, obesity can cause a rise in scrotal temperature and erectile dysfunction.
- At Ponni Hospital, we provide the best possible medical treatment to help couples having infertility problems through IVF treatment.
- With over a decade of experience in medicine and administration, we offer advanced treatment options for sexual dysfunction, infertility and assisted reproductive treatments with precision and care at a reasonable price.
- Presence of cutting edge infrastructure and state of the art laboratories for IVF treatment makes Ponni Hospital one of the best medical facilities in the world.
- We provide a calm and quiet environment that helps in the healing process.